Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Guest Review: Devi Ever Soda Meiser (By Kevin Ian)

Hello Kind Readers!

The pedal I wish to talk to you about is the Devi Ever Soda Meiser. I traded some pedals and acquired the DIY kit through mail. Todd of Grumpy Toad FX was kind enough to build it for me.

Devi's single pedals are interesting creatures. They have a volume knob (plenty of volume on tap) and an intensity/texture knob. You will find that you get a variety of sounds from simply turning the intensity knob. Lets examine the sounds you can get from the pedal:



Intensity Knob:

7 - 9 o'clock : What we have here is very muff-like in character. The sound is characteristic of what people think about when you say "fuzz." It's a highly usable sound and perhaps the most "mainstream" sound out of the box.

10 -12 o'clock : This I would compare to a more saturated muff sound. This setting has tons of sustain and is ideal or fuzz leads. Roll back your guitar's tone knob on your bridge pickup to enter the world of Robert Fripp! This is my personal favorite setting for the pedal behind a slightly boosted signal (via OD or Boost).

1 - 3 o'clock : The fuzz becomes overly saturated and slightly scrambled. You hear hints of octavia-like fuzz creeping up into the signal. It adds instant character to your leads, though it does not take to chording well. The harder you dig, the more scramble the fuzz gets! Truly adventurous types would chord with this setting. The disharmonic yumminess is astounding.

4 - 5 o'clock : This is straight-up scrambled octavia-like fuzz. This is the wildest setting of the pedal and the most unique. Use this setting with caution, as the signal compresses slightly, meaning there is a slight drop in volume. A slight boost of the pedal's volume is a quick and easy fix.

Having owned and played a variety of Devi's pedals, I notice one huge thing that makes her pedals stand out from the rest of the crowd: the pedals are very sensitive to input volume. Adding a slight boost changes the character of the pedal slightly, while pushing a boost into a distortion into the fuzz almost instantly puts it into scrambled octavia territory quick!

I tend to stack dirt/fuzz often, so I have found that either putting my fuzz first/second position is the best for me, as I can slightly alter it with a boost or leave it unaltered as the first pedal in my chain. Your tastes may vary!

I highly recommend this pedal for people who want a quality fuzz that not only sounds great but is one of those instant gratification pedals. Randomly turning the kobs yields any number of great and usable sounds. I also highly recommend marking the pedal with your favorite sharpie, as it's character can change drastically between settings. I have logged in a few hours of playing this pedal and I still feel like I'm barely getting the hang of how she works!

Playing through some of my delays, it takes kindly to all delays, though I believe my favorite one to pair with it is my Carbon Copy.
The following is a video of me going through some of the settings of the Soda Meiser, then a demonstration of how it reacts to boosted signals.

Thanks for reading!


- Kevin Ian is a multi-instrumentalist and awesome EffectsWire contributor. He is currently the singer/guitarist of The Common Men. You can find out more information at www.thecommonmen.tk

No comments:

Post a Comment